Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Setting a Schedule

My experience teaching  pre-k has taught me how important transitions are to young children. That being said, transitions with my newborn are a whole new ballgame. For the past 7 weeks, I've been following a baby led schedule. As we're approaching Babycakes 2nd month, I've been starting to think about some sort of schedule. Since Babycakes is exclusively breastfed, our schedule will predominantly be dictated by when she wants to eat and for how long she wants to eat. For two days, our schedule has played out like this:

Morning feeding
playtime/reading
feeding
bath
music/playtime
feeding
nap (which lasts anywhere between 20min.- 4 hours)
feeding
playtime/reading
active alert time
feeding
bedtime routine (pajamas, book, feeding, rocking)

I'm going to try to try to stick to this schedule as closely as babycakes allows. There are no set times for our schedule as she really dictates what time we start the day, depending on when she wakes up, when she shows she is tired for a nap (some days she doesn't even nap longer than occasional cat-naps) and when she needs to eat. Babycakes still eats about every 2 hours during the day. Some days, it seems like she's eating all day long...
Luckily, when she goes down for the night between 8:30-10:30 she usually only gets up once in the middle of the night and then again in the early morning around 5. Sometimes she'll sleep a little later, but only if we're really lucky and usually if she hadn't napped during the day. Now that I've said she only gets up once at night, I'm guessing I jinxed myself and she'll be up all night.

If any of you mommies out there have any suggestions or feedback about our schedule, please feel free to let me know! As a new mom, I am open to ideas especially when it comes to babies and schedules as it is all new to me!
 

1 comment:

  1. Baby schedules are tricky. I tried it and still do with my now 9 month-old. She ate about every 3 hours as a newborn and bathes before bedtime. I think you will probably be great if you just keep an eye on your littles and get her to sleep as much as she needs. Things tend to fall into place. Bless you and your sweet baby. (I also am a pro- early to bed for babies advocate. Ours is snoozing the night away at 7pm)

    ReplyDelete

 

Babycakes Crunchy Momma | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012